Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Sweet Peas, Raspberries and Broccoli

Mix all the above in blender and drink... just joking! I wanted to share a couple other recipes I took to Barn House, I promised Lulu I would next time I did a post. I did want to mention that I got the Butterscotch Poppy Seed Cake which I posted last time, from a very dear friend of mine, Carol. She went to great lengths to get the recipe, I can NOT divulge how .... But, it is worth the effort she went too, everyone LOVES this cake (except maybe the judges.)

The Broccoli Salad is in a lot of cookbooks I have. I make it so often I just wing it but you probably would like a little better idea, where to start.







Broccoli Salad






8 cups broccoli, bite size






1 medium red onion, diced






2 lbs bacon fried crisp, cut into bite size pieces






1 1/2 cup dark raisins







Dressing






1 cup mayonnaise






1/4 cup sugar






2 T. cider vinegar






1/2 t. black pepper






1t. seasoning salt






whisk and pour over salad







At this point you can add sunflower seeds or sliced almonds. I have added apples, and I have used craisins. It is hard to mess this up and it is good for a couple of days. I like it best when the broccoli is cut pretty small.







Enjoy!








The Raspberry Pie is a new recipe for me from my friend Pam. We had it at her house just a week before I took it to Barn House. It is so pretty it wouldn't necessarily have to be delicious, but it is!





Fresh Raspberry Pie
Crust
1 1/2 Cup flour 1 1/2 T sugar 1 t salt
Combine 1/2 Cup oil with 2 T of milk. Whip with a fork.
Combine everything together and press into pie plate.
Bake 8 minutes at 475. Cool thoroughly.

Filling
Fill the cooled shell with raspberries. It takes more than you think, I used 5 pints, they were small berries. Set aside.
Combine 1 Cup Sugar, 2 T corn starch and 1 Cup water.
Boil until clear ( 2-3 minutes) Add 3 T Raspberry Jello mix. Cool.
Pour cooled mixture over berries. Cool in refrigerator.
Serve with whipping cream or ice cream.
This is easy and fast! Very yummy, I imagine people think it is a healthy dessert and I'm pretty sure they don't want to know about the oil and sugar. Let them focus on the berries...
So are you wondering how the Sweet Peas fit in? I love Sweet Peas, I have A Thing for Sweet Peas, and come to find out so does Lisa at A Thing for Roses! I love everything about them. I love how they just keep blooming and blooming. If they are growing on your fence and you pass by, I LOVE the fragrance! It is so fun to have a bouquet on your table, walk by and you get the slightest whiff... They are so fragile they look like tissue paper. They are the greatest. So then I ask, why don't I plant them every year?? Packets and packets of them? Probably because in Oregon they need to be planted in February, or some crazy time...
I always mean to get them planted, but usually don't. I was more than just a little excited when I saw Sweet Pea starts, at our local farm store this winter. I grabbed them up and let them sit in the box for way too long. But I did eventually got them planted. I waited much too long to get them strings to climb up but finally I did... Oh my, I am so glad! So I'm thinking, I am so special, I have Sweet Peas! Then last weekend at Barn House, amongst every other wonderful thing, I see this...

You can't see them very well from the photo, but on the outside of the fence, SWEET PEAS, all lined up in perfect little groups of white , lavender and purple. What a vision, what a lovely garden! I also love the wash tubs! How cute are they hanging on the fence? I have a wire fence, I have wash tubs, I think I have an idea!




















10 comments:

  1. I love sweet peas too.

    J&J's garden is amazing...so neat and tidy. Makes me tired just looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was the cutest garden. I have been thinking about it since I saw it. I need it, tubs and all. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, we went into the house. Oh, my gosh!! I was in awe. Everything, everwhere. I couldn't quit looking. So then I went back out to the sale and bought more stuff. Tata for now, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! The rasberry pie sounds delicious~ I am defianlty going to make that this week! I love rasberries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is exactly what I do with Sweet Peas. Mine are around 2 feet now and I am in Wisconsin. We shall see if I get sweet peas before it snows! I love your blog and looking at your great booths on this and other blogs. Very inspirational. kath

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joy, I thought I had your email addie, but I couldn't find it. I asked the "Barn"guys about putting my birdies in their next sale, Could you email me, I'll tell you what they said...Laurie lm.sm@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Joy!! I just want you to know that I spent a WHOLE day planting sweet peas (in early Spring)...and I planted a MILLION seeds because I wanted a MILLION flowers. BUT, some rodent came along and all I got was the scrawny survivors. Thanks for noticing those that actually made it. Next year I will try to do better.

    Jermonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do so love sweet peas. Every year I think I have to plant some and every year I miss the boat. Nice picture of me smelling yours though. Ugh, I need a dye job don't ya think?

    Hugs,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joy , Oh , I love sweet peas - my Great grandma always planted them in Wisconsin. There's some dedication. Guess what?! I am working on a BLOG - can I add you as a site I love to visit?
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank-you so much, I will now eat only broccoli salad and raspberry pie until fall comes and my mood improves. OX lulu
    btw I have so many sweet peas at my house that even walking by people notice the smell & when Geff and I were married in 1976 they were the only flowers at my wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank-you so much, I will now eat only broccoli salad and raspberry pie until fall comes and my mood improves. OX lulu
    btw I have so many sweet peas at my house that even walking by people notice the smell & when Geff and I were married in 1976 they were the only flowers at my wedding.

    ReplyDelete