Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Making of a Saint

This past weekend while I was at Expo, I was visiting with my friend Carrie. She was asking about Dave the Driver, I told her he was at the hospital having some metal taken out of his eye. (he is fine now) after I told her about our last trip in Dumbo, she said his name should be

Saint Dave.

th_trainCircus

It is a lot more fun to pick on him than to elevate him,

but as today is his birthday and all…

HB-00265-D

This is how that fateful day played out…

We left town a few hours later than preferred but, we still had a few things to pack in the trailer and I did a bit of shopping on the way, so it was a late start. (What’s new?)

For once I was sitting up front instead of lounging on the bed in the back.

(Just in case you are new to this blog, Dave is my husband, Dumbo is the rv and the trailer behind is 20 feet.molly mos 038

We were going down the freeway and I noticed that we were going rather fast, so I ever so sweetly mentioned, “seems like you a going a little fast.” To which Dave so sweetly answered, “I’m just keeping up with the traffic.”

I didn’t say that we were about 45 feet long and over 16,000 pounds and it was dark and raining…

About that time there was a big loud pop and I said,

“something happened!!”

I could be accused of stating the obvious…

Dave said,

“we’ve had a blowout.”

You know I was thinking, maybe you shouldn’t have been going so fast… I kept that to myself though.

It seemed like a 100 miles before we could pull off, but it wasn’t quite that far.

And this is where the story really gets good.

th_cutequote1

When Dave gets out to check the damage, it seems that the inside tire of Dumbo’s right rear tires, not only was flat, but also the tread had completely come off and made a BIG HOLE in the

black water tank

aka the septic tank…

I’m sure you can just picture the fallout (excuse the pun) and I’m also sure that you’re glad you weren’t the car behind us…

Now is when I’m so very glad,

“I don’t know a thing about changing tires…”

especially when the spare is located underneath the rv, right next to the dreaded

black water tank.

I turned the outside light on and pulled the shade, pretending I had no part in this roadside misadventure. Wondering when the police would show up and arrest us both for??

Littering??

Illegal dumping of toxic waste???

Who knows what kind of laws were broken?

I’m busy planning my defense,

you know I’m telling who ever will listen that I told him he was going too fast!

Evidently taking the inside tire off of a dual wheel is quite a challenge, in the dark and even less fun with the cold rain whipping. One must get under the rv and do some kind of magic to get the tire off, and then a different magic trick to put the yucky spare in it’s place.

Only once did I open the door to ask,

“how much longer?”

And that is why some may think Dave should be canonized. pullman 014

farm chicks 027

madhatter 044 tonis flowers 308

kimmys wedding 044

Happy Birthday Saint David!

pullman 018

11 comments:

  1. Oh Joy he is a saint, Happy Birthday. Some day I will have to tell you my story about our flat tire on my car on the way to Kalispell in the pouring down rain. Have a great week. It was so good to see you on Sunday. Florence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww! What a guy! Any man who will change a tire at night, in the rain, next to the "you know what tank", sounds like a Saint to me!

    Happy Birthday to your sweet hubby!

    xo,
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joy! Happy Birthday Dave!! We were so looking forward to seeing you two last weekend, at the Funky Junk sale, but you were at Expo!?? I must have gotten confused....easily done these days. Have a great "B" Day Dave. XOXO Glad & Celia

    ReplyDelete
  4. JOY-LAUGH OUT LOUD FUNNY!!!!! YEP I WOULD PUT DAVID UP THERE IN SAINTHOOD AND IF HE WERE MY HUSBAND, I WOULD BE DOING PAYBACK FAR INTO THE DISTANT FUTURE! XO DIANA

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is a saint, can he be my grown up? Seems like your kinda monopolizing a lot of his time......we could really use him over here. : )

    Happy B'Day Dave, You are such a nice man and a really good Dad and Husband. OX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joy, I think a Birthday gift of AAA is in order. You make me smile :)
    Julie, Kindred Roses
    BTW Happy Birthday Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know, by experience, what it's like to have a saint at home...!!! We are both two lucky gals... Happy birthday to Dave!!!
    Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am certainly willing to take a bow, right now, to Saint Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, Happy Birthday to Dave! I didn't know about the metal in his eye!!! Poor guy! Thanks for stopping by with Karen and brightening my day on Thurs. HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm anxious to see you again soon.

    Love,
    SHeila

    ReplyDelete
  10. Luck ending really. I want to ask you though, do you think he was going too fast!! lol. Happy Bday, St. Dave

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL......He is a saint isn't he?
    Loved your story! I have soooooooooo been there so many times.
    I need to see you, I have missed your energy, humor and smile.
    Have a wonderful day
    Timi

    ReplyDelete